Get Biked is an email list of bikes for sale in New York City.
The project is to create a community, a group of bikers who care about where their old bikes end up. Get Biked is improving the process of finding a bike in NYC by cutting out the riffraff of used bike sales. Every week, Get Biked provides a straightforward list of bikes for sale.
Each bike submitted to the project is required to meet a specific criteria, ensuring that every bike on the list has the information a potential buyer needs to make a decision:
- Number of gears
- The condition of the bike
- The neighborhood of the bike
- Detailed description
- Why the seller is getting rid of the bike
As a promotion, submissions to the list will be free. After the first month, Get Biked will charge a small fee to be included in the email list. That fee has yet to be determined, and will depend on user feedback after the first month.
I love riding bikes. Shopping for bikes can be really fun, but it can also be really frustrating. I'm creating this service because it's something that I'd like to have in my inbox. I'm completely open to suggestions, and I definitely expect the service to change and adapt as it goes.
I hope you'll join me on this adventure, and that the service can help you find your next bike!
In order to keep the service as transparent as possible, I wrote a few notes to clear up any questions.
- I (Dave Dawson) am doing this project out of my love for bikes. I'm the only one working on Get Biked right now.
- I'll never sell your email address to anyone, ever.
- I plan to go through each submission personally.
- The service is open to all kinds of bikes: skinny, fat, fixies, BMX, new, old, simple, and even fancy bikes. We'll take them all! I ride a pretty inexpensive bike myself, and I love it.
- The bikes that won't be included in the list will be bikes with missing, or incomplete descriptions.
- Get Biked will not participate in the sale of bikes, it's simply a service to connect bike sellers to potential customers.
- When fees are collected, it will be a flat rate to list the bike, regardless of how much the seller is asking for it.
I'll be writing up a proper FAQ soon enough, but hopefully this helps answer any questions until then.
If you have any additional questions, concerns or general feedback, please send me a (friendly) email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.