Here to help
Here to define problems
Here to eat pizza
Here to find solutions
Here to ride bikes
Here to dig into the details
Here to spread love
Here for this
Happy to be here.
I create digital products & websites for progressive organizations
I’ve been privileged to work in the progressive space for most of my career, and have been able to create work for dozens of wonderful organizations. It’s a long list, but I’ve included a few of my favorite clients below.
How I work
Looking for someone to augment your team?
As a studio owner, I wear many hats and have years of experience in client services, but when I’m not leading projects myself, my primary role is product and website design, creative direction, and consulting. If you’re looking for someone to augment your existing team or lead a project, then you’re in the right place. Below is an overview of the type of work I do.
Looking for a team to tackle a problem?
If your organization needs a team to create a digital product or website, or if you just don’t know where to start, Cottleston Pie is where I assemble small and mighty teams to solve those types of problems. Get in touch.
What I do
My favorite product teams are the small and scrappy ones. I value moving quickly, prototyping, testing, and iterating. But, the most important part of product design is understanding and defining the problem we're solving. The earlier we do that, and validate our assumptions with users, the smoother the entire process will be.
Pixel perfect designs are a good goal to have, but they're not something that should get in the way of a proof of concept. I believe in getting something out quickly, testing it with real users, and iterating our way to pixel perfection. I’m a designer who codes, so I'm able to jump in with your team to prototype ideas, and even style base components to get to launch quickly.
Where I can help
- UX research
- User flow mapping & wireframes
- UI design
- Prototyping & testing
- CreativeMornings I worked closely with the CreativeMornings team to define and design the CreativeGuild, a digital product that brings the experience of their in-person events into the digital space.
- Sierra Club I was brought on to design Sierra Club's AddUp product. I collaborated with Blue State's UX and Engineering teams to make the petition campaign experience smooth and to keep supporters updated easily.
- Need to Vote A voter registration and turnout group, they were one of the largest players in the 2018 midterms and I designed the supporter experience. We created a dashboard where supporters could access the most important actions that could take and get the latest content. By the end of the campaign we had sent out over a million notecards that supporters filled out and mailed to voters.
Designing a website is designing for message and action. And of course, aligning stakeholders, defining content requirements and processes, outlining a website’s architecture, visualizing a brand’s identity in a digital medium, and making sure it looks great and performs well on all devices.
I’ve designed scores of websites over the past 15 years. Many of those have been cause-based, but I’ve also worked in the arts and editorial spaces. I believe that design is a tool to serve a website’s content and should be only as visible as it needs to be. I design websites that support the message and the priorities of your organization.
Where I can help
- Project road mapping
- Kickoff meetings
- Information architecture
- Visual design
- Front-end development
- Harper's Magazine I led the project team and worked closely with the digital director at Harper’s to restructure the website to complement the printed edition while including a few bonus areas for digital-only content, refreshed the visual design to bring it in line with the printed magazine, and created user flows that encourage readers to subscribe and explore the magazine's 170 years of content.
- Film at Lincoln Center I led the project and designed the website that balanced FilmLinc’s digital programming, their daily film screenings, and monthly film festivals. All while showcasing beautiful imagery of the films they highlight. I led the FilmLinc leadership team through a series of card-sorting exercises, created wireframes and visual designs, and collaborated with my development partner, Patronage on the front-end development.
- New York Institute of Technology I was brought on to augment the design team at Happy Cog during their project with NYIT. The Happy Cog team provided an early design direction and I took that and translated it into the layouts for the entire NYIT website.
Dave is a pleasure to work with. He’s a talented designer who can quickly grasp clients’ business goals and deliver polished, thoughtful, and beautiful designs. Dave is also a strong design presenter and articulates his design decisions in a way that clients can easily understand.— Daniela Botterbusch
Digital Strategist, ExpandTheRoom
Creative Direction & Consulting
I work with creative teams to produce content across mediums with a consistent message and visual style. As a creative director, I establish and execute a creative vision, lead teams, and establish a creative culture.
As a consultant I work with organizations looking for an outside perspective on their digital presence and strategy. I’ll work with you to audit your current digital strategy and create a roadmap for improvements.
- Tom Steyer 2020 In 2019, I took a sabbatical from my design studio to serve as the creative director on the Tom Steyer presidential campaign. I led a team of 35 creatives who were responsible for anything visual in both digital, print, and some TV.
- Need to Impeach As the creative director on the campaign to impeach Donald Trump, I led the Design and Video teams to create digital content for our supporters and a large digital advertising program for our targeted members of Congress. The credit goes to our supporters and members of Congress who stood up for justice, but I’m pretty happy to have “helped to impeach Donald Trump” on my list of career accomplishments.
- Consulting I've consulted with organizations of all sizes to help leadership get a better understanding of their digital strategy and how to best use the resources they have to accomplish their organizational goals.
Dave guided our team through many tough decisions, presenting elegant design solutions that respected our unique business priorities. The finished websites have grown beautifully and customer feedback has been very positive.— Michael Gibbons
Director of Digital Platforms, Film at Lincoln Center
2012 - today
Cottleston Pie Creative Director & Principal
2019 - 2020
Tom Steyer 2020 Creative Director
2009 - 2012
Blue State Digital Principal Designer
Looking for more?
This page is meant to serve as a quick overview of my work. But you may have more questions (I hope you do!). I’d be happy to talk about your project and where I might be able to help, and/or discuss any of the projects listed above in more detail. You can send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.